[whatwg] URL decomposition on HTMLAnchorElement interface

Kartikaya Gupta lists.whatwg at stakface.com
Fri Mar 27 04:55:18 PDT 2009

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 23:01:34 -0400, Biju <bijumaillist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Kartikaya Gupta
> > This behavior seems rather inconsistent and possibly buggy.
>
> At first look I also thought it is inconsistent
> But later I found Firefox is very consistent.
> I think reason why it happening like that is because Firefox clean up
> URL by removing extra slash before host name
> and adding a slash after host name and also convert host name to lowercase.

Well, yes, I'm sure there is a simple set of rules that will explain this behavior from the implementation point of view. However, it is inconsistent for the average user.

The behavior where nulling out the hostname causes the first path component to become the hostname is particularly odd, IMO. I can't think of any use of this behavior that would be considered anything other than an ugly hack.

Cheers,
kats