[whatwg] Worker feedback

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Sat Mar 28 01:28:11 PDT 2009

On 28.03.2009, at 4:23, Ian Hickson wrote:

> I think, given text/css, text/html, and text/xml all have character
> encoding declarations inline, transcoding is not going to work in
> practice. I think the better solution would be to remove the rules
> that
> make text/* an issue in the standards world (it's not an issue in the
> "real" world).

In fact, transcoding did work in practice - that's because HTTP
headers override inline character declarations.

> For new formats, though, I think just supporting UTF-8 is a big win.

Could you please clarify what the win is? Disregarding charset from
HTTP headers is just a weird special case for a few text resource
types. If we were going to deprecate HTML, XML and CSS, but keep
appcache manifest going forward, it could maybe make sense.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov