[whatwg] Web Addresses vs Legacy Extended IRI (again)

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Sun Mar 29 05:46:38 PDT 2009

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 14:37:19 +0200, Giovanni Campagna
<scampa.giovanni at gmail.com> wrote:
> Summing up, the differences between URL5 and LEIRI are only about the
> percent sign and its uses for delimiters.

I'm not sure if you're correct about those differences, but even if you
are they are not the only differences. E.g. LEIRIs perform normalization
if the input encoding is non-Unicode. URLs do not. URLs can encode their
query component per the input encoding (and do so for HTML and some APIs).
LEIRIs cannot.

(Also, I'm not sure if the WHATWG list is the right place to discuss this
as the editor of the new draft might not read this list at all.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/