[whatwg] Input type for phone numbers

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Mar 31 12:58:22 PDT 2009

On Mar 31, 2009, at 10:25 AM, Peter Kasting wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu>
> wrote:
> I agree that entering a week is pretty rare, though.  ;)
>
> As someone working on supporting new input types in WebKit:
> Supporting any one form of "date" is nontrivial, but supporting the
> rest after you support the first _is_ trivial.  So while I'm on the
> "week is not that useful" bandwagon, it'll be simple to support once
> "date" is supported.

It depends on the quality of implementation you want to deliver. With
a nice visual date picker, the UI for picking a month or a week is
probably quite different from the UI for picking a day, which in turn
would be different from the UI for picking a time, or a date and time
together. For instance, a day picker would probably only show you
month or possibly a 2 or 3 months at a time, whereas that would not
make sense for a month picker. Just having a type-in box with no
visual picker would result in a control that would likely not be
usable for the kinds of sites where you enter dates.

Regards,
Maciej