[whatwg] Annotating structured data that HTML has no semantics for

Giovanni Gentili giovanni.gentili at gmail.com
Mon May 11 10:15:59 PDT 2009

Ian Hickson:
>   USE CASE: Annotate structured data that HTML has no semantics for, and
>   which nobody has annotated before, and may never again, for private use or
>   use in a small self-contained community.
> (..)
>   SCENARIOS:

Between the scenarios should be considered also this case:

* a user (or groups of users) wants to annotate
items present on a generic web page with
additional properties in a certain vocabulary.
for example Joe wants to gather in a blog
a series of personal annotation to movies
(or other type of items) present in imdb.com.

other examples of "external annotation" could
be derived from this document [1].

this option require that @subject accept:

1) ID of an element with an item attribute, in the same Document
or
2) valid URL of an element with an item attribute elsewhere in the web
or
3) a valid URL (ithe item is the referred document or fragment)

This raises two other questions:

a) In the case of  properties specified for element
without ancestor with an item attribute specified
the corresponding item should be the document?
(element body with implicit item attribute).

b) Do we need to require UA to offer a standard
way to visualize (at least as an option left to the user)
the structured information carried in microdata ?
And copy&paste? See also this email [2].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-media-annot-reqs-20090119/#req-r01
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jan/0082.html

--
Giovanni Gentili