[whatwg] About Descendent Tags

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri May 1 14:21:35 PDT 2009

On Fri, 1 May 2009, Christoph Päper wrote:
> Ian Hickson:
> > On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:
> > >
> > > The header element is not for the page header, it is for grouping section
> > > headings, and the tag name chosen for this element is misleading.
> >
> > I've renamed the old <header> to <hgroup>.
>
> Did you consider using 'h' instead?

I think that would be confusing for people who have heard of XHTML2's <h>
(since it is quite different; HTML5's <h1> is the better match there).
Normally that wouldn't be a great concern, but this is one feature of
XHTML2 that has received a lot of attention from early adopters, and so
confusion on this front could set the wrong trajectory for a long time to
come. That is, after all, why we renamed the elements in the first place. :-)