[whatwg] Timers

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed May 6 11:40:40 PDT 2009

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Jon Barnett wrote:

> Do setTimeout and setInterval belong in HTML 5?  They're not really DOM
> related.  They're supported by ActionScript, which doesn't have a DOM.
> AS supports the same signatures that HTML 5 does (plus another one).
> HTML 5 already says they're specific to Javascript/ECMAScript, so
> there's no need for other DOM implementations to support them.

If anyone would like to volunteer to write the spec to define setTimeout()
outside of HTML5, I'd be happy to remove the section as soon as such a
spec is on a standard track somewhere. The section had been waiting for an
editor for a year or more until last week where I finally gave up waiting
and just wrote the spec myself. Since it's only a few paragraphs I didn't
bother going through the overhead of separating it out into its own doc.