[whatwg] Suitable video codec

Michael Dale dale at ucsc.edu
Fri May 8 08:45:35 PDT 2009

yea.. the take home point is that Theora now has an encoder that puts it
in the same ballpark as contemporary proprietary codecs. I would not say
Theora is "outdoing h.264". The results of a given PSNR test are
impressive and important to publicize but I think my wording in posting
about that test might have promoted overstating the quality factor.

The only quality that really mattered in terms of standardization has
stayed constant: which is Ogg Theora is /royalty free/ and implementable
in both proprietary and free software browsers.

--michael