[whatwg] <video>/<audio> feedback

David Singer singer at apple.com
Fri May 8 09:25:43 PDT 2009

At 23:46  +1000 8/05/09, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 9:43 AM, David Singer <singer at apple.com> wrote:

>>>  There are critical differences between HTML and video, such that this
>>>  analogy has never worked well.
>>
>>  could you elaborate?
>
>At the risk of repeating myself ...
>
>HTML is text and therefore whether you download a snippet only or the
>full page and then do an offset does not make much of a difference.
>Even for a long page.

you might try loading, say, the one-page version
of the HTML5 spec. from the WhatWG site...it
takes quite a while.  Happily Ian also provides a
multi-page, but this is not always the case.

>In contrast, downloading a snippet of video compared to the full video
>will make a huge difference, in particular for long-form video.

there are short and long pages and videos.

But we're talking about a point of principal
here, which should be informed by practical, for
sure, but not dominated by it.

The reason I want clarity is that this has
ramifications.  For example, if a UA is asked to
play a video with a fragment indication
#time="10s-20s", and then a script seeks to 5s,
does the user see the video at the 5s point of
the total resource, or 15s?  I think it has to be
5s.

>So, the difference is that in HTML the user agent will always have the
>context available within its download buffer, while for video this may
>not be the case.

I'm sorry, I am lost.  We could quite easily
extend HTTP to allow for anchor-based retrieval
of HTML (i.e. convert a 'please start at anchor
X' into a pair of byte-range responses, for the
global material, and then the document from that
anchor onwards).

>This admittedly technical difference also has an influence on the user
>interface.
>
>If you have all the context available in the user agent, it is easy to
>just grab a scroll-bar and jump around in the full content manually to
>look for things. This is not possible in the video case without many
>further download actions, which will each incur a network delay. This
>difference opens the door to enable user agents with a choice in
>display to either provide the full context, or just the fragment
>focus.

But we can optimize for the fragment without disallowing the seeking.

--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.