[whatwg] <video>/<audio> feedback

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 19:09:04 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 5:01 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 6:56 PM, David Singer <singer at apple.com> wrote:
>> At 14:09  +1000 9/05/09, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>>  Of course none of the
>>> discussion will inherently disallow seeking - scripts will always be
>>> able to do the seeking. But the user may not find it easy to do
>>> seeking to a section that is not accessible through the displayed
>>> timeline, which can be both a good and a bad thing.
>>
>> How easy a particular user interface is to use for various tasks is (I hope)
>> not our worry...
>
> I'm not sure I agree. If the spec provides a feature set that no one
> is able to create a useful UI for, then there definitely might be a
> problem with the spec.
>
> I still have not received any comments on my previous assertion that
> there are essentially two separate use cases here. One for bringing
> attention to a specific point in a larger context, one for showing
> only a smaller range of a video.

Just to confirm: yes, there are two separate use cases. (I was under
the impression that the discussion had brought that out).

The question is how to distinguish them and which component should
make the choice.

> I do think both of these can be addressed using fragment identifiers,
> but I do think we should treat them separately.

They could be addresses using fragment identifiers, but then it's up
to the UA to decide when to display what and different UA
implementations will become inconsistent.

The challenge is to find a means of treating them separately in a
predefined way.

Thus, the idea of using "fragment" for attention (in YouTube style)
and "query" for focus on the now restricted new resource.

We're having that discussion now in the media fragment WG.

Cheers,
Silvia.