[whatwg] Annotating structured data that HTML has no semantics for

Shelley Powers shelleyp at burningbird.net
Thu May 14 05:34:43 PDT 2009

Dan Brickley wrote:
> On 14/5/09 14:18, Shelley Powers wrote:
>> James Graham wrote:

>>> I have now added extremely preliminary RDF support with output as N3
>>> and RDF/XML courtesy of rdflib. It is certain to be buggy.
>>>
>> So much concern about generating RDF, makes one wonder why we didn't
>> just implement RDFa...
>
> Having HTML5-microdata -to- RDF parsers is pretty critical to having
> test cases that help us all understand where RDFa-Classic and HTML5
> diverge. I'm very happy to see this work being done and that there are
> multiple implementations.
>
> As far as I can see, the main point of divergence is around URI
> abbreviation mechanisms. But also HTML5 might not have a notion
> equivalent to RDF/RDFa's bNodes construct. The sooner we have these
> parsers the sooner we'll know for sure.
>
> Dan

Actually, I believe there are other differences, as others have pointed
out.

http://www.jenitennison.com/blog/node/103

http://realtech.burningbird.net/semantic-web/semantic-web-issues-and-practices/holding-on-html5

Some of the differences have resulted in more modifications to the
underlying HTML5 spec, which is curious, because Ian has stated in
comments that support for RDF is only a side interest and not the main
purpose behind the microdata section.

With the statement that support for RDF isn't a particular goal of
microdata, Dan, I think you're being optimistic about the good this
effort will generate for RDFa. But, more power to you.

Shelley