[whatwg] [Fwd: Re: Helping people seaching for content filtered by license]

Eduard Pascual herenvardo at gmail.com
Fri May 15 03:04:29 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:
> Nils Dagsson Moskopp writes:
>
>> Am Freitag, den 08.05.2009, 19:57 +0000 schrieb Ian Hickson:
>>
>> >      * Tara runs a video sharing web site for people who want
>> >        licensing information to be included with their videos. When
>> >        Paul wants to blog about a video, he can paste a fragment of
>> >        HTML provided by Tara directly into his blog. The video is
>> >        then available inline in his blog, along with any licensing
>> >        information about the video.
> [...]

> Why does the license information need to be machine-readable in this
> case?  (It may need to be for a different scenario, but that would be
> dealt with separately.)

It would need to be machine-readable for tools like
http://search.creativecommons.org/ to do their job: check the license
against the engine's built-in knowledge of some licenses, and figure
out if it is suitable for the usages the user has requested (like
"search for content I can build upon" or "search for content I can use
commercialy"). Ideally, a search engine should have enough with
finding the video on either Tara's site *or* Paul's blog for it to be
available for users.

Just my two cents.