[whatwg] Reserving "id" attribute values?

Brett Zamir brettz9 at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 05:14:06 PDT 2009

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 13:46:43 +0200, Brett Zamir <brettz9 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> While it may not be that common, people may want at a later date to
>> apply some files for validation...
>>
>> And don't forget the vanity/business factor in having a fully
>> validating site.... :)
>
> You can have validation outside the DTD/XSD realm.

Sorry I guess I was forgetting that HTML can be validated just as well.
However, whichever way one validates, RelaxNG or whatever, XHTML 5 (and
HTML 5?) will still define it as an ID type, no?

This concern was brought to mind when looking at
http://dev.w3.org/html5/html4-differences/#absent-attributes which
simply suggests using "id" instead of "name" (some might just think they
can simply switch the attribute and not the value).

Brett