[whatwg] DOM3 Load and Save for simple parsing/serialization?

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed May 20 00:49:35 PDT 2009

On May 19, 2009, at 11:49 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 5:45 AM, Brett Zamir <brettz9 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> Has any thought been given to standardizing on at least a part of
>> DOM Level
>> 3 Load and Save in HTML5?
>
> The Load and Save APIs in DOM 3 are much too complicated IMHO so I'd
> like to see something simpler standardized.
>
> We've had parsing and serializing APIs in Firefox for ages. Would be
> very exited to see someone put in effort to get their API cleaned up
> and standardized.
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/DOMParser
> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/XMLSerializer

WebKit actually implements most of these. I think it would make sense
to publish these as a WebApps spec. But these classes don't do any
be the simplified load/save method that it would make sense to
standardize IMO, since Firefox has it and it is needed for Web
compatibility. I am concerned though that Document.load() allows for
synchronous network loads.

Regards,
Maciej