[whatwg] on bibtex-in-html5

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at gmail.com
Wed May 20 09:24:04 PDT 2009

Re: the recent microdata work and the subsequent effort to include
BibTeX in the spec, I summarized my argument against this on my blog:

<http://community.muohio.edu/blogs/darcusb/archives/2009/05/20/on-the-inclusion-of-bibtex-in-html5>

I think it's fair to say that the Zotero project [1] agrees with my
thoughts; Dan Cohen just said as much in an email, where he expressed
concern both with the introduction of a new generic metadata-in-HTML
spec alongside RDFa, and also the use of BibTeX in particular.

Thanks to Ian for the email conversation on this, BTW, and for taking
the basic use case seriously.

Bruce

PS - Brief background on me: am a professional scholar (a social
scientist) [2], and author or co-author of some relevant work in this
area: the Bibliographic Ontology [3], and the Citation Style Language
(CSL) [4], both of which have been collaborations with Zotero (among
others). I also had a major hand in the new RDF/RDFa-based extensible
metadata support in OpenDocument 1.2. So I have quite a bit of
practical experience on different sides of this: both user and
developer.

[1] http://zotero.org
[2] http://bruce.darcus.name
[3] http://bibliontology.com/