[whatwg] Removing the need for separate feeds

Kornel Lesinski kornel at geekhood.net
Fri May 22 17:13:34 PDT 2009

On Fri, 22 May 2009 09:41:43 +0100, Eduard Pascual <herenvardo at gmail.com> wrote:

> For manually authored pages and feeds things would be different; but
> are there really a significant ammount of such cases out there? I
> can't say I have seen the entire web (who can?), but among what I have
> seen, I have never encountered any hand authored feed, except for code
> examples and similar "experimental" stuff.

I maintain hand-authored Atom feeds on few websites. It's not a problem if feeds are updated rarely. On websites without CMS copying&pasting few tags once a month feels like less work than moving website to a CMS or writing XSLT :)

Despite that I'm not excited about Ian's proposal. In these scenarios I often want content of the feed to be different than content of the page, e.g. feed says "I've added article about Foo.", but page has "Newest articles: Foo, Bar, Baz."

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski