[whatwg] localStorage feedback

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Nov 3 11:52:46 PST 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:51 AM, Darin Fisher <darin at chromium.org> wrote:

> That's correct.  My point is simple:  Here is another case where nesting
> can happen that hadn't been foreseen.  Trying to foresee all such issues is
> difficult.

Yes.

Will we just keep amending the spec each time we find such a possible case?

I would.

> OK, but my point is that the spec should afford implementors with the
> ability to unlock the storage mutex at other times for reasons not mentioned
> in the spec.

I disagree, because this gives implementors freedom to drop the mutex in
situations that might really just be fixable implementation bugs. I think
our positions are clear now so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

>> I'm not convinced.  Look at Google Maps and street view.  Gmail uses more
>>> Flash now than it used to.
>>>

>> For new features, sure. But are they reimplementing existing browser-based
>> functionality to use plugins instead?
>>

> I think it is sufficient to just talk in the context of new features.  A JS
> library or component grows a new feature that suddenly starts using a
> plugin.  Now, API calls that were not supposed to touch plugins start
> touching plugins, and the storage mutex gets dropped.

That only matters if they start using the new feature in the middle of a
localStorage "transaction". That seems possible, but unlikely, to me.

Rob
53:5-6]