[whatwg] validationMessage

Scott González scott.gonzalez at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 18:58:46 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Peter Kasting <pkasting at google.com> wrote:

> * Directing the UA to step into this process and show the user messages
> about the validation failures, which don't take into account context the web
> page has -- bad

I agree with this specific case because I would personally always customize
the validation handling. However, following that same logic wouldn't you
come to the conclusion that date inputs should not display calendars because
they need to be localized? I would certainly not expect the average user to
enter a valid date format of YYYY-MM-DD, so not having a calendar would make
validation of dates almost worthless without a calendar. On the other hand,
this is another case where I would most likely use a library like jQuery to
display a calendar anyway to give me more control over the calendar. A bit
off-topic, but they seem to be pretty closely related.