[whatwg] validationMessage

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 14:09:57 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Peter Kasting <pkasting at google.com> wrote:
> The UA can still do things like turn fields red or add warning sign
> icons or something if it likes.

What's validationMessage even supposed to return in these cases?  For
instance, suppose that a particular UA never returns an error for
max/min overflows because it always just snaps the value to the max or
min onchange and onsubmit.  (AFAICT the spec permits this.)  What is
it supposed to return if a script queries the input's validation
status when it's temporarily invalid, like if the user changed it but
didn't move the cursor out of the input yet?  The spec just says "a
suitably localized message that the user agent would show the user",
but in this case the user agent wouldn't normally show the user
anything.

FWIW, as an author, I can't think of any good use-cases for
validationMessage.  The only thing I can think of is if you're writing
your own error-display framework, but in that case, I'd really think
you'd write your own error messages.