[whatwg] insertAdjacentHTML

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Tue Nov 24 07:29:21 PST 2009

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:24:58 -0200, Daniel Glazman
<daniel.glazman at disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> The problem is that it is a legacy feature, much like innerHTML.
>
> That's not a problem. Make insertHTML with the new values and
> make insertAdjacentHTML with the old values just an alias to
> the new ones. Or the contrary. Or whatever. But it's not because
> it's shipped by MS that way that we must stick forever to such
> an horrible definition...

That is actually pretty much how we do it for every feature (consider e.g.
XMLHttpRequest) because otherwise we have to duplicate too much
functionality which only increases complexity. I.e. more tests, more APIs
floating around, more documentation, backwards compatibility issues (new
duplicate APIs won't work, but the ones they reflect do), etc.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/