[whatwg] size limits on web databases

timeless timeless at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 01:04:58 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> The iPhone has GBs of storage, though, so it's probably not the issue.

Dunno about this. I have an n81 8gb (and an iPod Touch 32gb).

I used the n81 to collect podcasts and then topped it off with map
data, it's effectively full (and i get random errors from stupid
apps).

My iPod in theory is paired with iTunes on my mac which has
instructions to slurp videocasts instead. I can't find it, but I'm
pretty sure that if I managed to try to sync my iPod Touch, it'd be
nearly full :) -- My iTunes volume is 25gb, which I guess isn't quite
32gb, but it's just automatically collected, and I don't manage it at
all.

That said, I agree with the your general points. File system space
behavior is considerably more dynamic on larger computers (laptops,
desktops, and other things with access to network and similar storage,
plus multitasking).

The only interesting thing about mobile file systems is
compression/garbage collection, but ZFS exposes both of those (so I
have both behaviors on my Mac).