[whatwg] Use cases for the time element

Jeremy Keith jeremy at adactio.com
Fri Nov 27 03:07:09 PST 2009

Henri wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2009, at 18:50, Jeremy Keith wrote:
>
>> "The following extract shows how an IM conversation log could be
>> marked up.
>> seen 30% of the star trek episodes"
>
> What's the point of having the time semantically marked up in this
> example? What kind of processing scenario would benefit?

1. Mashups.  A user agent/spider/web service parses the time elements
and mashes them up with other timestamped data (photos, status
updates, etc.).

2. Graphing. A user agent/spider/web service parses the time elements
and generates a graph of activity e.g a sparkline.

But the scenario I can't imagine is: a user adds one or all of the
events to their calendar. That's why I think it's ridiculous that the
*definition* of the time element explicitly states that the purpose of
the element is to allow users to add events to their calendar. It's
one example of usage. It is not the only possible usage.

Bye,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Keith