[whatwg] .tags()

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Mon Oct 19 15:30:07 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I've been meaning to send a formal email on this subject, and with the
recent discussion going on over in the W3C webapps mailing list I
figured now was a good time.

I'd like to formally request that .tags() is removed from the
HTMLCollection interface. Unless it can be shown that .tags() is
needed for compatibility with the web Mozilla has no plans to
implement this property. Back when we implemented document.all, we
judged that there were enough sites using document.all.tags() to
implement the property on the document.all collection, however we
haven't seen any information indicating that this is needed elsewhere.

Based on how for example the video codec issue was handled, where part
of the spec was dropped since one major browser vendor indicated that
they would not support a feature, I'd request that the same treatment
was given to .tags(), and thus remove it from the spec.

Of course, if someone has data indicating that .tags() is indeed
needed to be compatible with the web, we'd reevaluate at mozilla. In
particular I'm wondering what made other vendors decide to support
this. Especially if these vendors strongly feel that .tags() should
remain the the spec.

/ Jonas