[whatwg] HTMLElement.onload

Markus Ernst derernst at gmx.ch
Fri Oct 23 07:16:13 PDT 2009

In 6.5.6.2 of the spec I found, that the onload event handler is now
available for every HTML element in HTML5, which I think is a great
improvement. But there is something on the load event, that I think
would be worth some words to clarify.

According to 6.11.2 the load event is fired when the whole document is
loaded; I did not find anything about element-specific load events. So I
assume that element1.onload is triggered by the same event as
element2.onload - the following two bodies would be equivalent:

   dosomethingelse(document.getElementById('bar'))">

Is this assumption correct?

Generally, the list of events that must be supported by all HTML
elements looks somehow confusing to me, as there are some events that
only apply to special types of elements, such as media players or forms
resp. form elements. How are e.g. onpause or oninput supposed to work if
applied to span or p elements?