[whatwg] The new content model for <details> breaks rendering in MSIE5-7

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 19:38:35 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Bruce Lawson <brucel at opera.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 23:51:55 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> the use-case for <figure> and <details> are
>> sorta minimal anyway - it's enough that they can justify themselves,
>> but just barely.
>
> Use case for figure is perhaps minimal. But details is hugely useful. It's
> an incredibly common thing to want to collapse and hide a section of
> explanatory text.

Agreed, but <details> won't be usable at all in modern browsers
(without hacking support in via js) until everyone updates.  By the
in it.  For now we can just keep doing what we're already doing with
javascript and do this with <div>s (or, as I often use, <dl>s).

<figure> is actually worse off here, since it 'works' in modern
browsers already (since it's nothing but a <div> with extra
semantics).  But, as you say, it's also much less useful in general
terms than <details> will be.  Staying with <div> for now won't be a
big deal.

~TJ