[whatwg] The new content model for <details> breaks rendering in MSIE5-7

Keryx Web webmaster at keryx.se
Sun Oct 4 02:13:00 PDT 2009

2009-10-03 21:47, Tab Atkins Jr. skrev:

> Well, no amount of proof would do so; only a convincing enough
> argument.  I, personally, do not feel that<dt>'s semantics change
> between<dl>  and<details>.  Nor do I feel they have different syntax
> at all -<dl>  and<details>  do have slightly different syntaxes, but
> it's very minor and pretty much bound up in the fact that<dl>  has
> multiple name/value pairs while<details>  has only one, so<details>
> doesn't *have* to worry about ordering in the same way that<dl>  does.
 >
 > etc

In what way is the SYNTAX different? We seem to agree on this:

First and foremost, in <dl> the order is all important. Here it would
not matter.

row), here one may not.

You call this "minor", I say confusing. But we have in fact created a
new syntax - why is that better than creating new elements?

In what way is the SEMANTICS different?

 > So, in my mind, <dt>/<dd> do *not* hold some special meaning that
 > locks them into only ever being used in <dl>.  <dt> is a heading
 > element, nothing more, effectively equivalent to <h1>*.

Well, that is not what the SPEC says is it?

 > or <legend>... in <details>?

Yes, I would.

I am arguing in favor of introducing a new element, which would be the
zero cost solution, since <details> is new anyway.

+ No hacks besides those that we already use to get details working as
such in legacy browsers.

+ When implementing details the browser vendors will not have a harder
time using a new element than they would using dt/dd.

+ We would keep the several meanings per element count down, which from
a teachability POV is more important than keeping the total number of
elements down.

And from that POV nuances are often harder to pick up than anything else.

--
Keryx Web (Lars Gunther)
http://keryx.se/