[whatwg] Feature requests in WebSocket (Was: BWTP for WebSocket transfer protocol)

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Oct 4 05:01:23 PDT 2009

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, Wellington Fernando de Macedo wrote:

> Ian, do you intend to add any other features to the first version of
> WebSocket? If yes, which ones?

I was thinking of adding multiplexing, but after discussing this with a
variety of people, I'm leaning towards leaving the protocol as is, and
letting authors implement their own multiplexing if they need it.

Other than that, I have no plans to add any features or make any further
major changes to the normative requirements in the protocol unless someone
brings up some serious problems.

I recommend rereading the spec and comparing it to any tests and
implementations before shipping, as there have been a number of subtle
changes over the past few months, such as dropping redirect support,
changing the default ports, changing how URLs are parsed, and the like.

I have some outstanding feedback on WebSockets, which I'll be getting to
in the coming days.

HTH,