[whatwg] Restarting the media element resource fetch algorithm after "load" event

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 16:59:42 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>>   I am not worried about the aesthetics of not having the event.  I am
>> somewhat concerned about existing content that uses it (including many of
>> the WebKit layout tests :-( ), but I think we will be better off in the long
>> run if we get rid of the event and network state now.
>
> Me too. I'm game if you are!
>
> So I propose:
> 1) Remove the NETWORK_LOADED state and "load" and "loadend" events from
> media elements. The resource fetch algorithm simply never transitions from
> step 2 to step 3.
> 2) Modify Gecko and Webkit accordingly.
>
> If we do part 2, which I think is already permitted by the spec, then
> authors will stop depending on "load" whether or not we get consensus for
> altering the spec.

I think what people are really after when they look for the load or
loadend events is that they can do something with the media element -
which is really what the loadedmetadata event does.

So, I think we're safe with removing the load and loadend events as
well as the NETWORK_LOADED state, since I can't really think of a
situation where those are important to the developers. As long as the
browser has access to the complete data and is capable of doing
something with it -  such as any kind of video data analysis - it
doesn't really matter whether it's in the local cache or on the server
or still in transit. I agree, we're safer removing the surplus events
and state.

Cheers,
Silvia.