[whatwg] framesets

Peter Brawley pb at artfulsoftware.com
Fri Oct 9 09:55:32 PDT 2009

> Try bookmarking a specific page, giving someone a link to a specific
> page . . . you can't.  There's one URL for the whole thing, no matter
> what page you have open.  It seems you can't even use the back and
> forward buttons -- navigating doesn't create a new history entry.
> (This appears to be true at least in Firefox and Chrome.)  Linking is
> what makes the World Wide Web work, and frames completely break it.

Oy, from the fact that users find web page links useful, it does not
follow that all identified content ought to be so linked.

A /design goal/ of this use case is to isolate individual framed items
from URL back/forward/history.external linking. Analagous to watching a
picture show where selecting N pictures does not commit you to hitting
the Back button N times to get back out. More significantly, each item
may have its own permission setting.

Linking is /one functionality/ that makes the web work. /It's not the
only one/. This use case /needs to isolate/ items within the page from
back/forward/history and external links.

PB

----