[whatwg] framesets

Markus Ernst derernst at gmx.ch
Fri Oct 9 14:51:27 PDT 2009

Peter Brawley schrieb:
> Eduard,
>
>  >Everything that can be achieved with <frameset> can be done through
>  ><table>+<iframe>.
>
> If that's so, someone ought to be able to point at some examples.

I think that the discussion if or not there may be a use case where
framesets are "good" is not the point.

> Supposing that someone can produce examples, the argument for removing
> frames from HTML5 becomes: "frameset has been in HTML till now, /but is
> being removed because we do not like it/. If you insist on such use
> cases, re-architect them." That's a misuse of standards.

This is rather the point. There might be a use case where dictatorship
is good - only a dictator might i.e. make laws to really protect the
environment, which would not be possible in a democracy. There might
even be a use case where chemical weapons are good - they might i.e.
serve to fight a rat plague somewhere in a third-world country. Still we
(well, I hope most of us) *do not like* dictatorship and chemical
weapons. This is reason enough to try to contribute to a world where
they are not wide-spread.

So, if the people who discuss and define the HTML5 standard *do not
like* framesets, it is IMO reason enough for them to take them out of
this standard. This will, as stated already by several posters, not
prevent you from using a frameset to do something "good" with it, and
you will be as safe as you are now, as UAs will support legacy content
for the years to come.