[whatwg] Navigation events generated during unload

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Oct 11 22:55:06 PDT 2009

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 10/11/09 9:04 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> >     http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/html/navigation/unload/cross-origin/004.html
> >
> > I couldn't work out what Gecko is doing with it.
>
> I'm not sure what's unclear.  The click starts the load of
> http://another.domain.libpr0n.com/pass and then the form.submit() call
> is ignored, no?  At least that's what I seem to see over here..

Why is the form.submit() ignored? It's not ignored in, e.g.:

   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/html/navigation/unload/same-origin/004.html

> > The second is that I also covered onunload. It seems everything that
> > applies to one applies to the other; they run back to back as specced
> > in HTML5.
>
> I assume you mean onbeforeunload?

Yes, sorry.

> In Gecko, onbeforeunload runs when the navigation _starts_ (or when the
> window is being closed, document.open happens, etc); onunload runs when
> the server response is received (so the old document is about to be
> blown away unconditionally).

Fixed the spec to do this too.

> > Other than that, I think what I specced matches Gecko. The new text is
> > step 3 of the navigation algorithm:
> >
> > http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete.html#navigate
>
> So reading through those steps, I actually have another issue.  Step 10
> seems to imply that javascript: URIs run synchronously.  Gecko used to
> do this, and this was not compatible with what other UAs do, so much,
> nor particularly safe in terms of security bugs.  We quite purposefully
> changed them to run asynchronously (with a single exeption: loads of
> javascript: URIs performed via NPAPI).
>
> Am I reading the spec wrong, or is there a reason for this synchronous
> requirement?

Oops, that's a vestigial bit. The comment is non-normative (and wrong);
the actual normative text makes javascript: async, only about:blank is
sync. Fixed.

> Also, I'm not quite sure what the part about unloading that comes after
> the algorithm you pointed me to means.  Does it mean that once you get
> the response and start parsing the new document you queue a task to
> unload the old one?  That doesn't seem at all right to me, since at this
> point the new document can be running scripts that touch the WindowProxy
> they share...

Not sure what you mean here. I've tried to clarify that the new page must
be active before any scripts run.

Cheers,