[whatwg] Some discrepencies and example remarks

Yuvalik Webdesign postmaster at yuvalik.org
Mon Oct 12 06:06:35 PDT 2009

> From: Ian Hickson
>
> > C) When talking about outline (in the context of sectioning) I gather
> we
> > are NOT talking about the DOM-tree, but about (a Table Of) Contents
> kind
> > of outline.
>
> Right.
>

> > Does a generic page-header and footer (containing a site-wide logo,
> > style and navigation) belong in such an outline? If not, does this
> mean
> > it has to be enclosed in a separate SECTION element? Nothing about
> this
> > is made clear either in wording or examples.
>
> I don't understand why this is a question. Why would it not belong in
> the
> outline?

Because of the fact the outline is a sort of TOC, and sometimes stuff that goes in a <header> doesn't belong in a TOC (since it is not content in the strictest sense of the word). But I think Tab Atkins answered this by giving me the advice not to over-think this too much. And he is probably right.

> > The spec is not very clear anywhere about styling practices (I know
> this
> > is CSS' job, but within HTML the mark-up should at least be
> mentioned).
>
> Could you elaborate on what you had in mind? Note that default styles
> are
> listed in detail in their own section.

Now I am not saying the spec should educate on this (as it has been mentioned, this is a job for tutorial sites etc.), but what I am saying is that it may be prudent to use more complex examples in the spec that address the difference in when to use <section> etc. and when to use <div> to make the line less gray.

> Please file specific bugs or send specific e-mails for each example you
> think should be reworked; there are over 300 examples in the spec and
> without knowing what is wrong with each one, if I just go through them
> all
> and change them, they're just going to go from one kind of bad example
> another kind of bad example.

I'd be perfectly happy to provide you with some examples, but I hope you will give me some helpfull feedback if I make a mistake in them. I will rework the examples for sectioning elements. Is a time-frame of two weeks ok with you?

> > Perhaps a small example, currently I am working on a site where
> content
> > which is generally regarded as a header, is placed as a sidebar on
> the
> > lower right of the page. It only contains a logo and a slideshow. Is
> > this a <header> or is this a <div>?
>
> Can you provide the URI? I would be happy to take a look, and maybe
> base
> an example in the spec on this.

As I am still working in the site it is local, so no URI. Also I am somewhat uncomfortable with sending you the source-code as it is rather messy right now (I had to rework the site as the client had some new ideas he wanted to try out).
I will try to include this code in the examples I will send.

Thanks for your answers,
Evert