[whatwg] Transparent Content

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Oct 13 02:24:21 PDT 2009

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> Neither of you are *quite* right, but you are much closer to correct
> than your colleague.  A transparent element *must* contain the same
> kinds of elements that its direct parent can.  The meaning of
> transparent is simply that, if you removed the element but left its
> children, the document would still be conforming.
>
> It does *not* mean that you can wrap a transparent element around
> anything, as some elements have very specific rules about what children
> they may have.  Frex, you can't wrap an arbitrary transparent element
> around a <td>.

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Yuvalik Webdesign wrote:

> So, if I understand correctly I should read:
>
> When a content model includes a part that is "transparent", that part
> must not contain content that would not be conformant if the transparent
> element in the tree would be removed, while retaining the order of the
> tree."

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> Yes, that's correct.  It's essentially a rewording of what's in the spec
> (just more focused on the element rather than the parent/children, as
> the current spec text is).

It doesn't say that because if you remove the element, you implicitly also
remove all its children (the children are part of the element in the DOM).

Other than that, the conclusions above are correct. If there's another way
of saying what the spec says that is technically precise but more
understandable, I'd be happy to use it. In the meantime, I've added an
example to explain it better.