[whatwg] disabled and readonly attributes

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 09:19:05 PDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:07:16 +0200, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> It seems like I'm not the only one confused by the difference between
>> disabled and readonly, then.
>
> Disabled controls are not submitted.

The confusion at hand is about the treatment of fieldset[readonly] (or
rather, why it *doesn't* have a treatment, when fieldset[disabled]
works).

(I'd have a use for that, by the way.  Two weeks or so ago I had a
project with a lot of inputs that start in a readonly state, and go to
editable as a group when you doubleclick on their section.  Being able
to set/unset readonly on a fieldset rather than on each individual
input would have made it a little bit easier.)

~TJ