[whatwg] The legend element

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Oct 13 17:04:26 PDT 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Markus Ernst wrote:
> Ian Hickson schrieb:
> >
> > I would recommend not using <label> and <fieldset> for rows 2 and 3.
> >
> > As in:
> >
> >   Placeholder outputs of 2nd row:
> >
> >     {label}: What is favourite pet?
> >
> >     {input-html}:
> >

> >   Placeholder outputs of 3rd row:
> >
> >     {label}: When are you born?
> >
> >     {input-html}:
> >     <label>Month:
> >      <select name="Month">
> >        <option value="01">January</option>
> >      </select>
> >     </label>
> >
> > Why isn't that satisfactory?
>
> It is, if omitting <fieldset> does not do any harm, such as lower the
> accessibility of the form.

I don't see why it would, especially in your example where everything is
in a cell anyway.

> If this is the case, and I read paragraph 4.10.2 of the spec correctly,
> <fieldset> serves exactly 2 purposes:
> - Adds possibility to group-disable it's descendants
> - Can assign it's descendants to a form, when they are placed outside the form
> element in the code

It also adds the possibility of grouping form controls under a single
name, and of providing groups of controls for understanding the form.

> Is this correct? Then it might be nice to clarify this with a few words
> in the spec, as "The fieldset element represents a set of form controls
> optionally grouped under a common name" can be read as implying
> structuring and thus accessibility matters.

The element does add structure and help with accessibility, but that
doesn't mean it's always necessary.