[whatwg] framesets

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 09:04:52 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Peter Brawley <pb at artfulsoftware.com> wrote:
> Correct, but excluding frameset from HTML5 increases the likelihood that
> browsers will drop support for the feature.

The spec requires all browsers to support framesets.  Look:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/obsolete.html#frames

Notice that this is contained in a section labeled "Requirements for
implementations".  Also note that the section is full of requirements
saying "the user agent must".  An implementation that does not support
frames is non-conforming.  HTML5 requires frame support in user
agents.

This has been stated a number of times before; what part is unclear?
The *only* effect on you if you use frames is that your pages will not
validate as HTML5.  They will still work perfectly.  Their status as
"non-conforming but specified" is basically HTML5's analogue to
HTML4's "permitted but with their own DTD that we discourage authors
from using".  Nothing has changed between HTML4 and HTML5 for you, as
an author, except that validators will complain.  HTML5 will probably
lead to even more consistent frameset support across user agents, if
anything.