[whatwg] framesets

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Wed Oct 14 10:14:37 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Peter Brawley <pb at artfulsoftware.com> wrote:
>>Nobody forbids you from using previous versions of HTML.
>
> Correct, but excluding frameset from HTML5 increases the likelihood that
> browsers will drop support for the feature.

As a browser developer, and as someone that would have a lot of say in
the decision weather firefox would drop support for <frameset>, I can
tell you that you are wrong on this point.

We don't decide to drop support for features based on if they are in
any given specification or not. We base the decision on if the feature
is used in real world web pages or not. For example I'd love to drop
support for DOM Mutation Events, even though they are in a spec. I
don't care if they are in a spec or not. However I can't currently
drop support for them since too many sites use them.

/ Jonas