[whatwg] Issues with Web Sockets API

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Wed Oct 14 13:27:11 PDT 2009

13.10.2009, в 4:11, Ian Hickson написал(а):

>> Is this meant to mimic some behavior that existing clients have for
>> HTTP
>> already?
>
> Yes, as it says, the idea is for UAs to send the same headers they
> would
> send if the protocol had been HTTP.

For HTTP, this depends on authentication scheme in use. For Basic and
Digest authentication in particular, clients are allowed to make
certain assumptions about protection spaces: "A client MAY
preemptively send the corresponding Authorization header with requests
for resources in that space without receipt of another challenge from
the server."

I don't think the Web Sockets protocol is sufficiently similar to HTTP
to defer to RFC 2617 or other HTTP specs here. Also, implementing
"just support the same authentication mechanisms you do for HTTP" is a
tall order, since HTTP back-ends don't (always?) expose the necessary
APIs for encryption.

>>> If /code/, interpreted as ASCII, is "401", then let /mode/ be
>>> _authenticate_. Otherwise, fail the Web Socket connection and
>>> abort these
>>> steps.
>> 407 (proxy authenticate) also likely needs to be supported.
>
> Proxies wouldn't work with WebSockets in general.

Could you please elaborate? I thought there was a setup that could
work with most deployed HTTPS proxies - one could run WebSockets
server on port 443.

A feature that doesn't work behind proxies suddenly makes a lot less
sense - one could use it to control a toy railroad over intranet, but
do other use cases survive?

>> Some authentication schemes (e.g. NTLM) work on connection basis,
>> so I
>> don't think that closing the connection right after receiving a
>> challenge can work with them.
>
> Yeah, that's quite possible.

Is this something you plan to correct in the spec?

If practical uses of Web Sockets are all going to be over SSL (for
proxy compatibility reasons), then even Basic auth seems ok for many
cases, but NTLM still has important benefits over it. The primary
benefit I'm aware of is that passwords don't need to be stored on the
server.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov