[whatwg] framesets

tali garsiel t_garsiel at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 15 05:43:53 PDT 2009

 	<Pine.LNX.4.62.0910130924420.25383 at hixie.dreamhostps.com>

 	<4AD4A1EB.8080102 at artfulsoftware.com>

 	<Pine.LNX.4.62.0910132224110.6803 at hixie.dreamhostps.com>

 	<4AD5438D.3090407 at artfulsoftware.com>

 	<98038259-77F7-42FD-8A4A-097BB3E9EA3B at dartmouth.edu>

 	<4AD57761.4060905 at artfulsoftware.com>

 	<5ccfb3340910140023s65dbb96bq988b96b55707aa1d at mail.gmail.com>

 	<4AD5F4A5.2040204 at artfulsoftware.com>

 <a440ea080910150049t42482beav46a76a597ba2916c at mail.gmail.com>

Nelson wrote:

There is a specific use-case (that has nothing to do with databases
> or bookmarking) that framesets solve better out-of-the box right now
> in most browsers: that of a panel-based layout that allows resizing
> and maintains UI state without flickering whilst loading content in
> different panel

 As an aside, there is a reason why AJAX has become so popular over the
> past few years: it solves the specific UI-reset issue that is inherent
> in full-page refreshes. Maybe there is room for a better,
> standard-based approach to solving this issue, but framesets ain't it.

I totally agree.

I think the described case is the main flow in web applications.
I think most web applications have exactly this panel based layout, where navigation loads only a some of the panels.
I think they all use AJAX. Iframes are very unpopular, and as you say AJAX is the best current solution.

I think there should be a standard based solution because:

1.Even when using libraries like prototype, AJAX does take some coding. Why should I use so much code for such a simple, main flow use case?

2.By looking at browsers code I see there is a lot of clever stuff going on when loading/unloading a document.
In the AJAX based solution this happens only once in the application life cycle.
It seems to me that dedicating a special syntax to navigation would help browsers to test the application main flow.

Tali