[whatwg] Workers and addEventListener

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Thu Oct 15 10:54:23 PDT 2009

To be absolutely clear (since there's some confusion about whether we are
talking about explicit MessagePorts, or about implicit ports for dedicated
workers).
Are you saying that this:

var channel = new MessageChannel();
channel.port1.postMessage("hi mom");
channel.port2.addEventListener("message", function(event)
{alert(event.data); }, false);

Should result in an alert dialog being fired? Because that does not match my
reading of the spec at all - the spec explicitly states that a port's
message queue is only enabled via start() or via setting the onmessage IDL
attribute.

I would not be opposed to changing the spec to include enabling a port's
message queue when addEventListener("message") is invoked.

-atw