[whatwg] window.setInterval if visible.

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 15 12:46:04 PDT 2009

On 10/15/09 3:35 PM, Gregg Tavares wrote:
> I was wondering if there as been a proposal for either an optional
> argument to setInterval that makes it only callback if the window is
> visible OR maybe a window.setRenderInterval.

You might be interested in
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.platform/browse_thread/thread/527d0cedb9b0df7f/57625c94cdf493bf
for some more discussion about approaches to this problem.  In
particular, that proposal tries to address overeager animations in
visible windows as well.

Note, by the way, that testing whether a window is "visible" is not
cheap; testing whether an element is "visible" is even less cheap....

-Boris