[whatwg] Canvas Proposal: aliasClipping property

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Oct 15 18:37:17 PDT 2009

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> I agree it would be good for canvas users to be able to turn off
> antialiasing in <canvas>. But your syntax is not the best way to do
> that. In particular, this really has nothing to do with clipping, it's
> all about antialiasing, and a boolean property would be just fine here
> IMHO. It doesn't matter if <canvas> currently has no boolean properties,
> lots of other elements do.

Turning off anti-aliasing just trades one problems for another.

IT seems like what we should really do is either have UAs oversample
without antialiasing and then downsample for rendering, or, if that is
considered too expensive, provide primitives that make this a non-problem.
For example, instead of just having the ability to draw rectangles, maybe
we need the ability to specify a number of rectangles, and then have them
all drawn at once, so that if they are adjacent, the UA can render them
without the anti-aliasing artifacts between them.

In either case, it seems like something best handled in a future version.