[whatwg] framesets

Rimantas Liubertas rimantas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 23:58:57 PDT 2009

> OK and for clarity's sake I'll again repeat framesets don't solve the
> navigation problem, they just make it easier to solve than any other
> available proved solution, and this wee problem is that browsers  own
> bookmarks, database users own database table rows, so usually you shouldn't
> bookmark database table rows, and much follows from that, therefore saying
> server issues don't bear on this issue is IMO astonishingly & quite wrongly
> blinkered.

How on Earth can you bookmark database table rows? Your database knows
nothing where its rows go, the browser does not know where does HTML
originates in: it may be DB, may be XML transformed via XSLT, may be static
files on the server.

All you can bookmark is some URL. On the server there must be an
application, which maps that particular URL to this particular database
row, retrieves it, transforms it into HTML and sends to browser.
This application then is the right place to solve that "bookmarking"
problem.
It starts to look like you are trying to solve server side problems
(restricting access, of whatever denying bookmarking is supposed to solve)
via client side. Not going to work.

Regards,
Rimantas
--