[whatwg] Charset sniffing from XML prolog

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Oct 16 14:46:16 PDT 2009

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Kartikaya Gupta wrote:

> So then is this behavior getting axed or specced? The site in question
> that relies on this behavior is http://bell.mobi/primary - it's not as
> noticeable in the english-locale version but if you switch to a french
> locale you get a bunch of french encoded as utf-8. Browsers with the
> prolog sniffing will render it fine but others will show garbage.
>
> I'd be happier with not having to change my code to deal with this
> website, since it will occasionally show garbage even in utf-8.

UTF-8 is detectable, so if there's no other encoding declarations, and if
this is the only site we know of, I'd rather encourage you to add fallback
UTF-8 detection (as allowed by the spec) rather than add this.

Since IE apprently doesn't do this, I'd also rather not add yet more
features like this.

So in the absence of more compelling reasons to add this, I'd rather get
Opera and WebKit to remove the support for this, than add more. (As I
understand it, Mozilla's new HTML5 parser already removes support for this
particular "feature".)