[whatwg] <a onlyreplace>

Chris Taylor Chris.Taylor at figureout.com
Thu Oct 22 02:22:41 PDT 2009

Looking at this (simplified) example from Markus:

   <head>
     <title id="title">My title</title>
     <base onlyreplace="title">
   </head>
     <ul id="navigation">
     </ul>
</head>

Would it be better to be able to specify multiple onlyload base elements? Like so:

   <head>
     <title id="title">My title</title>
     <base id="onlyreplace1" onlyreplace="title">
     <base id="onlyreplace2" onlyreplace="contents">
   </head>
     <ul id="navigation">
     </ul>
</head>

That way it gives authors much more control over that they choose to be replaced. This does mean that the "onlyreplace" attribute on links (and forms) should perhaps be renamed "onlyreplaceref" or similar. Has this idea already been put forward by someone else? (I may have missed it).

Chris