[whatwg] .tags()

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Oct 22 17:26:48 PDT 2009

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> I've been meaning to send a formal email on this subject, and with the
> recent discussion going on over in the W3C webapps mailing list I
> figured now was a good time.
>
> I'd like to formally request that .tags() is removed from the
> HTMLCollection interface. Unless it can be shown that .tags() is needed
> for compatibility with the web Mozilla has no plans to implement this
> property. Back when we implemented document.all, we judged that there
> were enough sites using document.all.tags() to implement the property on
> the document.all collection, however we haven't seen any information
> indicating that this is needed elsewhere.

I've removed it and filed bugs on WebKit and Opera. If the bugs get
WONTFIXed, though, then I'd like there to be a spec defining how this
should work.

> Based on how for example the video codec issue was handled, where part
> of the spec was dropped since one major browser vendor indicated that
> they would not support a feature, I'd request that the same treatment
> was given to .tags(), and thus remove it from the spec.

There's a spec for Theora. There's no other spec for tags(). What we
removed was the (quite unusual) requirement that implementors of one spec
(HTML) implement another (Theora), not the actual definition of how the
feature should work (the Theora spec still exists).