[whatwg] localStorage feedback

timeless timeless at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 12:39:31 PDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> I've edited the latter text to indicate that the expiration should only be
> done at user option.

On a device with limited storage, is the user option of having a
device that still boots and operates a sufficient "option"?

I'm looking at a device which tends to run out of space regularly but
which wants to support web standards.

If I visit 50 sites and collect junk for all of them, and i have a
screen which can barely show 5 site names + 1 line descriptions for
sites, then i'm not quite sure my user option of being able to
conveniently manage those sites will really exist.

User Agents always have the option of acting on the behalf of their user.

Web sites should be encouraged to design their content in a way which
warns the user about unsynchronized data and explains that they
probably should rely on syncing or backing up their data.

If I have a draft message in GMail, when I try to navigate away from
it, it helpfully warns me that my email could be lost. Web
applications shouldn't become less intelligent than that.