[whatwg] HTML5 video element - default to fallback in cases where UA can't play format

Kit Grose kit at iqmultimedia.com.au
Tue Oct 27 18:45:36 PDT 2009

G'day Gregory,

Thanks for the explanation. While I understand the issue you present
with precedence of JS and fallback content, I can't off the top of my
head come up with any necessary uses for the canPlayType function
(maybe as a nice-to-have, of course) had the behaviour worked more
predictably—particularly if the tradeoff is a totally non-workable
solution in modern browsers with NoScript turned on in situations like
mine. What happens if/when IE comes to the party but requires WMV
output? Will we all then encode *three* of the same video just to get
broader support? I can't see the complexity of that operation every
trumping the ease of use (from a content producer's end) of a single
FLV with a Flash video player, which is surely the ultimate goal here.

As far as the standards compliance etc. goes; the site is not client
work, and isn't going to be deployed/marketed as a standard website
(hence my taking a risk on using the HTML5 doctype at all).

The trade-offs for us to implement OGG—in this particular case, at
least—just for the sake of idealism aren't worth the maintenance cost
penalty we'd pay by providing (encoding, hosting, etc., etc.) two
video formats; the site will explicitly target users we know to use IE
for the most part, but should also work on the iPhone (the customer is
ourselves). That made V4E a good fit and I was keen to experiment with
the video element myself anyway.

I just found the behaviour of the element highly contrary to what I
had expected and wanted to raise it as a concern.

—Kit