[whatwg] brief question on 2.4.5 Dates and times

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Sep 1 16:51:37 PDT 2009

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> I am trying to use the specification of Dates and times given in section
> 2.4.5.

How? That section is just introducing concepts for the rest of the spec.

> I was surprised to find that there is a specification of a valid month
> string, but not of a valid year string or a valid day string. Is that an
> oversight?

No, nothing in the spec uses the term "valid year string" or "valid day
string", so I didn't need to define them.

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> I was trying to find out what restrictions we are putting on the year
> part of the string. E.g. are we allowing years before the year 0 and
> how.

else? (The answer is the same for all of them, but the answer is much
easier to find if you start from a concrete question, and then follow the
definitions back.)

> It's all there, and it's all fully defined by recursive definition of
> the parts that are being re-used (e.g. date reuses month (which is
> month-year, but not just month). However, if you are trying to look for
> something, it's rather confusing not to have e.g. year and day exposed
> in the contents, while month is.

If you're looking for something, start at the start. Don't try to
short-circuit the spec and jump half-way through your answer; if you do
that you might miss restrictions that apply to particular cases.