[whatwg] Proposal for local-storage file management

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Sep 1 18:35:46 PDT 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Jens Alfke wrote:

> Here's what a typical scenario might look like:
> Ellen tells me about a great online animation program. I go to its site, and
> it puts up a Canvas and a bunch of snazzy drawing tools, so I start sketching
> frames of an animation. (Behind the scenes, the app is storing my drawings in
> session storage. This is considered temporary, so the browser gives it a
> reasonable quota without any user interaction.)
> After a while I decide I want to keep using the app, and the stuff I've drawn
> has potential, so I decide to save it to disk. I click the Save button, and
> the site (actually the browser) puts up a standard Save dialog box.

Right now this can be done by the site directly.

Also, we'd have to keep providing persistent storage without user input,
so that the site can store preferences or the like without prompting the
user (just like cookies today).

> Next year I've switched allegiance to UltraAnimate.com, so while
> cleaning house I go through my Web Documents folder, see the old
> "SooperAnimator.com Data" file, and trash it to save disk space.

You can do that today with cookies, which local storage is supposed to be
exposed as in the UI. Do users ever look through their old cookies?